Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, January 09, 2012

New Year's Day Levee Our World


Today's post is for Our World where there are many more world pics. These shots were taken on New Year's Day at the Government House Levee. I had not ever been inside and was amazed to see the First Nation's carvings. (I just loved them so much I only took pictures of them and no people!!) There were a lot of people there and we shook hands with The Honourable Steven Point, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia. We had snacks of tarts and various treats, even a salmon bar of some kind. Of course there was coffee and tea. It was really crowded and I tried to get out of there as quick as I possibly could. Pictures are Clickable.





Here is a shot of the outside at the front of Government House.
The New Year’s Day levee is a long Canadian tradition. On the first day of the new year the Governor General, provincial lieutenant governors, military establishments and some municipalities open their doors to receive the public.


You can see the people on the front veranda.


The Canadian Scottish Regiment Pipes and Drums were there and the Naden Band played.  Below are some shots of the views outside of Government House.

I cannot get my post editor to work since they changed to the new interface. I switched back to the old interface and still cannot get the text where it should be.   I am getting more and more frustrated .......


I am having so much trouble with the text that I will quit now. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the New Year 2012!!



9 comments:

  1. Oh, I have had the same problems!! So frustrating! Great post and photos in spite of the problems! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such different and beautiful views of another world. The carvings are amazing...thank you for sharing. Love the view of the building and the red blossoms on the trees. Sorry to hear about the the trouble you're having with the text/Blogger. Hope that gets sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I spotted a little rainbow at the bottom of one of the carvings. I can see why you were taken with these works of art … the combination of bold colors, warm wood and mythological creatures is heaven to photograph. Also like the perspective of the branches laden with red against the backdrop of the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:15 am

    Especially with the last two blogs I recognize images that are very special: the old pot at Government House and the piling reflections on the last blog. It is fun to hear about life in Victoria! Studio Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, the carvings were awesome and the outside looks absolutely beautiful. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat way to celebrate the start of a new year. The First Nation's carvings really are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my friend trish has the same problem! mine is still the old version!

    nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for coming and it is wonderful to see some old friends here from far far away!thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS