Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Parksville Nights

This is what I found waiting for me on the beach at Parksville.  It was so beautiful.....someone had decorated this driftwood pole with a fine gauze ribbon that softly shimmered in the evening breeze.....and then when I turned and looked the other way there is the sunset!

Posting these shots for Sky Watch Friday and also for Weekend Reflections.  Thanks to these memes for gathering us random bloggers together for a moment or two to share our journey.




We rolled up here at Parksville late one night.  This is the beach where we plopped down our little trailer and spent the night.  This actually is taken right outside the door of the trailer.   I did not think I would have enough light to get any shots of this sunset but ran out along the beach to get what shots I could.
We had so much unexpected fun here as we sat out at our picnic table late into the dark night visiting with other travellers who we met on this beach, all of us on a journey somewhere...all of us from far off places......all of us taking the time to enjoy the moment of the summer sky painting....

Years ago, around 1877, there was a little cabin here and the owner Nelson Parks would distribute all the mail to the locals so of course they soon came to call the area Parksville!  Isn't that brilliant!

Parksville is on Vancouver Island and is 37 kilometres north west of Nanaimo.  Originally it was a logging area and now it is a tourist area with long sandy beaches.  Hope everyone at Sky Watch and Weekend Reflections has a great weekend.

32 comments:

  1. Interesting picture on the wooden tree branches..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures. Those beautiful sunset colours are even better over the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photos! the driftwood is a great element...the water so serene, the skies, magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauti shots of the sunset over the water! So calm and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your thumbnail and thought we must be looking at the same sky :) Lovely shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful photos and skies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are just stunning. The scenery and the colors are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your skies, happy skywatching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures today are so beautiful. What a wonderful way to start my Friday. I like the way you vary the sizes, That is a fine idea.Thanks so much for your response to my anti word verification post. I have done exactly like you and moderated all comments before allowing them to post. It is so simple. It may take a bit longer for the notes to post, but this approach is far better than the jumbled mess that Blogger is forcing upon us. I am ticked I have had such a positive response, and if only a couple change their blogs to NO word verification I will be a happy camper. genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply stunning sunset! Looks like a fabulous place to spent the night!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning sequence!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are really good at this! Love all the shots...clarity, composition...the whole thing. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breathtaking shots. You have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much for your wonderful comments for me to read with my coffee...it is such a kind and amazing group that visits me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really good at this, indeed!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, what stunning sunsets you captured. Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful colours and silhouette shapes -especially the driftwood which makes a wonderful sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What superb captures and what a glorious way to end a day -- any day! Absolutely breathtaking, such incredible colors! Thank you so much for sharing these with us today!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wrote a reply to your comment on my blog. See what you think. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ..magnificent photographs; I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous scenic shot..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing the pictures. They are beautiful. Some day we may go to Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Spectacular sunset and reflections! Really beautiful, the sky canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. of all the stunning fotos here, i can't decide which one is my favorite! ^0^
    interesting that you took these shots just outside your trailer,
    the stay must've been a gr8 retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting how Parksville got its name. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely beautiful as usual. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just a quick note to tell you I’ve nominated you for a “Versatile Blog Award”!

    Don’t know what that means? Neither did I when I received this award last week from a fellow blogger named Karen at http://thewellseasonednest.blogspot.com/. I did some research and found a website http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/ that helped me a lot. I also began to notice, as I surfed around, the “Versatile Blog Award” button on some blogs I was visiting. Visit my blog to see the announcement of your blog as a recipient of this award.

    As a former Victoria resident, your blog has captured my attention for a long while now and your photography inspired me. I love your photos! I missed you when you were gone for a bit and so glad to see you back and blogging. I like the look and feel of your blog. You are genuine, not self-serving, and not writing to accumulate “followers”, but rather with passion. It is a good chance for me to say “thanks” for delighting me through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for the nomination as a Versatile blog from msdewberry at DewDrops. I appreciate it so much and thanks also for such kind words. It is encouraging to get validation from such a wonderful blogger.

    I have put my badges on a page but I really like this one!

    I will in the future follow up with this and nominate other bloggers. thanks again!!

    ---------------------------------

    Also thanks to the many bloggers who have come by and taken the time to click through to the comment page and then type it out. It takes time!! thanks for giving me these moments of your time. It does have very special meaning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing! ALL of them!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS