Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Koksilah River in Fall

















The Koksilah River Provincial Park is located west of Shawnigan Lake on South Vancouver Island.  Today's post is for ABC Wednesday and the  letter now is at "K"...check out what the other bloggers will be doing there.  Also we will try Nature Notes Wednesday, Our World Tuesday, and Outdoors Wednesday.   I seem to be very captivated by memes this year.

The Koksilah River campsite is know for having very rustic and rugged hiking trails.  It is an undeveloped park with lots of mossy trees and little overgrown trails.  I like it in the fall when the large big leaf maples turn all the warm shades of yellow and orange. 

The river has a large gated metal bridge that crosses over it and it is called Burnt Bridge.  I think the original bridge was damaged in a forest fire and it has been rebuilt twice.

I have heard that the river has an annual bloom of rock snot (Didymo). This is a freshwater algae that smothers out other good algae I think.  I have never seen rock snot but I will look for it and hope to get a picture of rock snot for you.   I have had a lot of fun with the crayfish in the river and the little minnows as I can feed them bits of my beef sandwich.  We go there for picnics and wade in the cool pools in the heat of the summer.

There are logging roads that go farther up the river and when I was there last I am sad to say there was active logging going on up there.




26 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!! Boom & Gary Of The Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos of the Koksilah Park are just beautiful. The colors are gorgeous. It is a shame to hear about the logging in this pretty park though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The foliage is beautiful! Looks like another amazing place to visit in your area!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous images. I love the colourful foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Pics -the colors are mesmerizing! Aren't we all taken by the memes this year?:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous foliage! i can imagine myself sitting on a rock here with a book. marvelous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rock Snot versus the gorgeous Fall foliage.
    Interesting and informative post. Pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. KWITE beautiful!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shots are stunning! Autumn color is one of my favorite things to capture. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning views! We do get some beautiful autumns in BC, don't we?

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely yellow trees! I so miss autumn colors here in NZ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic...absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall sure is a colourful time for pictures. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have not been to BC - Looks beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazong colors, this yellows and orange are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Breath taking colors ~ excellent photos ~thanks, namaste, ^_^ linked w/ Outdoor Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fall is my favorite time of year. I enjoyed the cyber tour this week. Wow what a beautiful place.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  19. Teuvo Kuvat- Teuvo Images Finland visited this blog. Come and visit my blog . You should also tell your friends to my blog Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful location with so much to look at and enjoy..'rock snot'..that is a new one for me..We do get algae in the pond here and it does looks like green snot...lol.. Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen wood duck ducklings. There are nesting boxes in this area and if they can fight off the starlings..not easy as they have no weapons to use, they do nest. I have a number of posts and photos about them if you search wood duck on my blog...I only hope to have one in my box at some point...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks so much for all your comments...I appreciate them so much and they mean a lot to me at this time.

    Thanks to Michelle of Rambling Woods for taking the time and returning to tell me about the wood ducks and please check out her beautiful place and wood ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there! I just found your blog on Weekend Reflections and like your photos much that I'm signed up! Your blog now shows up on my dashboard, but not on your "friend follow." I don't get it, because it's not the same with every blog. Anyway, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks so much for your wonderful comments...

    Pat thanks for following me....I am having trouble with the Following Gadget and with Google Friends Followers Gadget. Both work fine but will not display on my blog. I can follow and followers can follow me.Pat I follow you.

    I get a notice when a new follower follows me, I get an email and also you are on my followers list. Great. But the gadget still does not display. Not Great.

    So I tried to get it fixed at blogger help. They no longer support Google Friends and since Followers is exactly the same gadget, no support.

    There you have it.

    Since the country redirect many gadgets do not display.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS