Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Muir Creek B.C. Fossils















M is for Muir Creek.  We went here a few days ago to see the fossils.    This post is for ABC Wednesday, the letter M this week. Also for Our World Tuesday, Nature Notes Wednesday, Outdoors Wednesday, This or That Thursday. 

Muir Creek has the most easily accessible Cenozoic era fossils to see on the
island but make sure the tide is low before you attempt to go there. It seems
that it is not a park and it is private land owned by the timber company as they log around there.  Muir Creek is near Sooke, B.C. Canada.

You walk down the estuary to get to the beach and the fossil cliffs.
It is a glimpse into our past and ancient world as the cliffs contain the
preserved fossils of shellfish in layers of sandstone and conglomerate
from millions of years ago.  The shellfish we saw were preserved in their
original shells (calcite) and have been dated from 20 to 25 million years
old.

The rock cliffs have been battered by the surf which has exposed the fossils.
If you look way up you can see the different layers of deposits on top of
layers of shells at the bottom. The layers represent how many millions of
years it took to lay down the deposit on top.

I thought they looked so similar to our present day shellfish.  They formed
in shallow water so that is why there are so many of them. There also is wood fossilized and dated around 60 million years old.  And they found a lower jaw and a molar of a large extinct bear like carnivore and a partial skull of a primitive whale here.

This area is well known for its large old growth forest, it has the second
largest yew tree in B.C. There is a cedar circumference measuring 29'6" and
a Sitka spruce measuring at 25'3" in circumference. The tall totem carved by Mungo Martin and erected in Beacon Hill park came from here. Muir Creek is named for John Muir and his pioneering family that settled here in the late 1800s.  Muir's two sons were killed here at Muir Creek in a wagon accident.

Thanks so much to the meme hosts who provide entertainment for bloggers and who all have wonderful sites to visit. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M is also for Missing:  My Followers gadget is not displaying and I am missing seeing all your faces on it.  I think I will get it fixed.  It still works fine and I am following you all on my dashboard and reader.  I can add blogs and join blogs and blogs can join up with me.  It still works perfectly but we just can't see it!!  Please continue to follow me and please if you are new and want to join me, please join up.  I get a notice when you follow so I can follow you as well.  cheers.




28 comments:

  1. very cool...I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place with those standing stones, rock pools, driftwood and fossils. On most beaches it is a good thing to be aware of the tides. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! My daughter would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an exciting location to visit and spend time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, i love fossils! And before I read your text, I was already eyeing that tree -so interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a wonderful place to explore--these fossils and rocks are quite interesting. thanks for taking us along.

    M is for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are awesome! What an amazing place. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting prehistory!
    love the driftwood.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting, I love looking at fossiles !
    Gattina
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots!

    Little MISSES
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fossils!! Thanks for sharing those! That looks like such an interesting part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting post! Beautiful photos and a fun place to explore. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would be fun to explore and see the fossils. Lovely photos, thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. some of the fossils are like wonderful sculptures
    beautiful series of photos

    I have been meaning to tell you, as soon as your header shot opens I smile
    it's so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos of a gorgeous place. It brings back memories of our time spent in Sooke last November.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great place! The fossils are beautiful! Fossils are always so intriguing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a cool place! looking forward to seeing where you go next :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to explore here.. Creatures from so many years ago. I love John Muir..I didn't know that about his 2 sons....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS..I follow your blog in google reader....

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks so much for your comments they are appreciated so much.

    Thanks for the follow Rambling Woods. I follow you also. Luckily I still can follow new blogs and still have all my followers on dashboard and reader. It has been a difficult few weeks for me as things are not working on my blog since the country redirect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great place!
    There is a lot to discover!
    Many greetings
    Yvonne & Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome pictures. Especially love the drift wood. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting! Also, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have taken some really beautiful scenes along the shore line.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great shots from a wonderful place.
    I'd love to visit and see all the fossils.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for all your wonderful support for this little blog project of mine.

    I had not expected it to work out so well. My communication skills are rather poor so I did not expect to get any readers. I was doing this blog as a legacy.

    I want to thank each of you for your appreciation of my effort here as you have become part of my journey.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS