Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Black-necked Stilts New Pictures Victoria, B.C.


Something Wonderful!  A close encounter with a Black-necked Stilt!  A few days ago this week we went to see the Stilts at the local wetland field. They were very far off wading by their nest in the weeds and very wary of us, giving a warning call.    (not completely crazy yet the words for this week will start with "w" for ABC Wednesday.)

My husband decided to wander off and went to another area to walk.  I decided to quietly watch them out on the berm alone.  The water level was about the same as before so that was good for the nest. The weather was cold and windy and I decided to sit down where I was in some weeds and wait, with my camera and lens wedged where I could reach it as the weight is too heavy for my wrist.  (the "w" words are for a blogger game we play)
                       Distant shot to show how far out they are.
The Stilts were way too far away for my lens (100 to 400) so while I was trying to figure out the focus on the new Canon 7D, something wonderful happened when one of the Stilts flew in and sat beside me!  Quietly without the warning call.  She was too close for my focus!  It was the most amazing experience in the world for a birder. She sat beside me for a long time and she bowed down and crouched on the shore in front of me.  She wisely looked directly at me the whole time.   I had no idea what to do.  Finally I decided to grab the camera and fire off a few shots!!  She even remained and posed for these shots.

I will always wonder what she thought.  Did she like the black and white lens?  Did she like what I wore, my black and white wardrobe?    Was it just a whim to see me?  Why?   I don't know which one of the Stilts it was, male or female. The male has a greenish tinge and the female has a brownish tinge to the back and wings.  Perhaps she is greeting everyone this way now?  She is the local celebrity and star of the birding groups.  Has she learned that once the birder gets the shots, the birder runs home as fast as he can to see them.  I have decided that it was the female as she had the entire field to wade in but she wanted to see me and came directly for me to have a chat about those baby Stilts!

The Stilts are white below and have black wings and backs.  The tail is white with grey bands.  They have a white spot above the eye which distinguishes it from the Black-winged.  They usually winter in the salt ponds in Southern California as well as South eastern Oregon.  One would not expect to see them here even in this time of year.  We have not had Stilts here for 25 years and never had them nest here.

This is where she sits down with me for a visit and a little chat.

These long legs take time to tuck under.

The Stilts incubate the eggs for one month and protect the chicks until they are 27 to 31 days old and able to fly.  The nests are usually situated within 7 feet of each other and nests are rarely found alone.  The young can swim within 2 hours of hatching but depend on parents for a few more weeks.  There is another nest out there also with chicks.

She decides to rest a while with me.

She is completely comfortable now and alertly checking me out. I was not in a blind or covered over in any way and just a few feet from her. She is totally silent and does not make any aggressive, territorial or protective calls.

Populations of Stilts have declined due to humans use of their habitat as well as lack of food stocks.  They are all welcome here.  I am in love with Stilts now!  I just hope that part of the wetland area can remain untouched.  The incredible farmer who owns the land has been so kind to not disturb the Stilts and none of this would have been possible if he had planted.

She decided that it was time to check on the little ones and calmly leaves me as gently as she came into my world.  It is always wonderful to experience an intimate connection with something unknown and wild.  Perhaps our silence together is a form of communication we just don't remember.
After a while, my husband returned to pick me up and was excited as he found a snipe but I had the pictures to prove my birding story. 




Some blurry shots of the Black-necked Stilts chicks far away over by the nest area.


The memes for this week are:  ABC Wednesday the letter "w". Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it as I have trouble with my eyes, can't spend as much time on the computer now.
Show off Your Shot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
World Bird Wednesday
ABC Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday with Words
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday

edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.





33 comments:

  1. Oh wow, how lucky were you that the bird decided to come that close. What an amazing series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience. I can't believe that such a wild bird came so close to you. You must have been so still. Well done the photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special moment that must have been! Did you say the New Canon 7D? Oh how I would like to have one of those cameras. Currently I'm shooting with the 40D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a totally awesome experience! The photos are amazing! Just seeing the way they bend their legs - very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series of images!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stupende fotografie...buon inizio settimana...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic series indeed! I do love those LONG legs!! Terrific captures and post for the day, Nora!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post!
    Amazing shots and experience.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  10. You managed to get such great shots of the stilts...beautiful a nd lucky you.Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful set of pictures. I love when a bird (or other animal for that matter) disregards the rules and just wanders towards you!

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  12. very exotic and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely bird. Great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of beautiful birds and what an amazing experience to have one come close to you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such cool looking birds! i'm not sure i've every seen anyone post the 'folded-down' version like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome series on the Black-necked Stilt. They are beautiful birds. Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello.
    Interesting post. The shots are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    The Warm Fingers Of Love

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, those legs are incredible! It reminds me of the way a giraffe lays down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WONDERFUL indeed.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful bird!

    White Chocolate
    Rose, ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fascinating experience! If they winter in the salt lagoons in Southern California, your stilts may have been visiting with me this past winter. I live five minutes from two of them -- the lagoons that is. I don't know much about water fowl. I usually stick to garden birds, but now I'll have to expand my horizons. Thanks for the info and the nudge in a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely series; beautiful poses

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent work with your camera. Fantastic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. the fragility of their long thin legs always amazes me
    great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that was an amazing experience for a birder. You got some beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Calling by this evening as another Outdoor Wednesday participant. This post was absolutely fascinating, I enjoyed learning about this bird.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh what a treat and all it needed was some patience...Lovely shots and I think that she trusted you is the most special part of the encounter.. Thank you for adding this post to this week's Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was happy to pass the info along about suet dough in my blog post. Most people don't know about it at all....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job! I know that is a rare bird and you got amazing shots of it!!

    They really are interesting looking!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, lucky you! These birds look a bit funny to me. Their legs seem so fragile! How do they walk on them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh what a pretty bird. I have never heard of a Stilt before.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool story and great pics. Thanks for participating in this weeks Tuesday Tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing bird - fascinating the way it sits, by folding its long legs. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS