Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Great Blue Heron and Gooch Island

 
 
Thank you to My Blog Readers:
I am just writing a little thank you letter to my subscribers, followers and readers and blog friends here today.

(check out the fish in his mouth! these are not photoshopped!)
Just a few little pictures and a couple of videos I had prepared earlier.  I have a Great Blue Heron for you moving slowly as he fishes and a tour of Gooch Island from the water.
(the letter G at ABC Wednesday)


Hope this finds my readersl well and having a relaxing last few summer weeks.   Thanks so much to my subscribers and followers and thanks so much to the bloggers who come by and comment on my efforts. I also want to thank the helpful people who put in the memes each week.  Having readers of my blog makes it all worthwhile and having the memes gives us somewhere to put our links so we get to know other bloggers and to see their work as well.


Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it.  It is the letter "G" at ABC Wednesday for Great Blue Heron and Gooch Island.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.
 
 

As I rummaged around in my photo files I did see some more "G" photos so I will try to add them in.

Goldfinches
peeking at me....trying to look sooooo cute!

Gulls

Gulls eating lots of kelp...they loved this fresh kelp over on Sidney Island.
Genoa Bay




Gardens:  Butchart Gardens

There we go!!  We are all done now. Time for a video.










42 comments:

  1. So many gorgeous photographs! I love those reflections - and catching the heron with the fish was magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Heron shot is astonishing! We should be thanking you for such wonderful insights into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy watching herons fish and eat. Your video was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb captures and video!! Such beautiful, colorful birds!! You do indeed have a delightfully lovely world! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top photo is an amazing shot. I know all life depend on having a good meal but somehow I feel for the ones that get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the heron shots! One of my favorite birds to photograph! Your scenery photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Heron shots,both the stills and the video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a lovely series of photos. The heron with the fish is just amazing. Great capture. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots! The heron shots are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you manage to capture that heron with the fish? Itis an incredible photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible photos! I love the one of Butchart Gardens; it brings back great memories (of my visit there 11 years ago for my honeymoon)...Genoa Bay looks amazing as well; what a stunning reflection! And of course, the photos of the Goldfinch enjoying a snack are so sweet! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pic of heron about to gobble the fish is terrific - great timing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I just love the photos of the Heron having a 'snack'!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once again, you've managed to capture some glorious images ...I LOVE the Heron catching its lunch!!!

    Well done.

    And, thanks for linking up this week at the Bird D'Pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice job on the GBH and his fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great catch with the fish in his mouth! Visiting from WBW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo of the heron and the fish is incredible.
    Great capture and terrific series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous shots and a great post for the letter G. I'm envious of your capturing shots of the Great Blue Heron with a fish in its mouth. I've tried but never succeeded in getting a shot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I forgot to mention how spectacular Genoa Bay is in these shots. Absolutely gorgeous. All the shots are great but the Great Blue Heron with the fish and Genoa Bay are my favorites. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  21. What gorgeous images - those of the heron with the fish are brilliant captures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Heron shots. Like the one with the fish in it's mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow that second pic with the fish in the bird's mouth is magnificent! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful captures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very good action shots of the Heron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the grandeur of this bird
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really great photos of the heron - and all the others of course but the heron is extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great photos of birds! The video is very good too.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A wonderful post and your images are superb but I have to fav the Heron with catch shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. All of the birds are great, but I really loved those Heron images, taking down the meal;')~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome catch!

    Golden Rule
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Nora, you captured the beauty of the Great Blue Heron perfectly. I love your beautiful inland scenery and enjoyed your videos immensely.

    Thanks for following my blog. I am now following you as well.

    Be well and happy,
    Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing, magical photos!! The first two just blew mind.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow..the photos and video of the great blue heron are amazing and show why rescuing one of those birds can be dangerous as we had to take into account when we found one ensnared in fishing line in the pond. It was able to be released unharmed after the line was removed.. Great videos too..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there - how do people get pictures of heron with fish!! There must be a setting on my camera that I have turned off!

    Great set of pictures

    Cheers _ Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great stills and video of the Heron Nora. Its amazing to see them quietly moving about the water like that. Expert fishermen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow - all these shots are gorgeous and the fish in the heron's mouth astounds me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved every bit of this post. Thanks . Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your photos are fantastic! I'm so glad I found your blog. My father's family lived in Canada, but I've never been. It's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow... beautiful pict.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, these are amazing shots! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS