Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

All about Joy

Being is as important as Doing in this Journey 
 
Start a Journey with Me:
It is "J" week at ABC Meme so here we go with some "j" words for this journey today. 

 "Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before."
Erich Fromm (Photo is of a beach on the Strait of Juan de Fuca) 

 
 
The Cosmic Journey:
"We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity."
Paulo Coelho

 
 
The heron looks Jurassic to me as he steps through time. He has not changed but we have. Has technology changed us
for the better?
 
(A Coot) 
Take a Step at a Time 
 To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping
Chinese Proverbs   
 
 Quail in a thicket


Journeying:
"From this point forth, we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork." J.K. Rowling
 
 
Frosted Jewels
The only jewels I need are from nature.

Jewels created for me by Jack Frost.

The Jetty
Sorrow has purpose:
 He who has not looked on Sorrow will never see Joy.
Kahlil Gibran    (Photo is of fish market on a jetty in Sidney, B.C.)


 
Jelly Fish Dancers




Here we feast on the bounty of the ocean. Soon to be gone unless we wake up to the music of the earth and the joy of being here.  We will have sorrow then.


Joy is right now in the struggle, not in the victory over it.  Join the struggle to save the innocent creatures of earth who have no voice to speak.
Joy lies in the fight, in the attempt, in the suffering involved, not in the victory itself
Mahatma Gandhi



 

Photo of Botanical Beach. Click on the photos
to see them larger.  I love this photo
because of the people who came
into the shot to give me joy.

I am a human traveler on a journey only my soul knows where: 
“We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.”
Anaïs Nin



The Juvenile Bald Eagle has to be brave and have courage to take this first flight from its tree-top nest. I was there to see it and it gave me joy.

Justify:
Giving Joy is free, costs nothing, and returns to me many times from joy given:
There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
Kahlil Gibran



The greatest joy for a photographer is when the unexpected happens like two juvenile Bald Eagles land on top of you.


The Road Ahead of Us:
"Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
You must travel it by yourself.
It is not far. It is within reach.
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land."
Walt Whitman

Water and Land
 
 Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.
Mother Teresa

Dance a Jig

Juvenile Robin in backyard

 
 
A series of unfortunate events:
Don't go to despair when you  have a series of unfortunate events, you have to push through it to see that there is a light.
"At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Lemony Snicket


 Junco in the yard

It is J week at ABC:
These are little unrelated events I have tried to link together somehow with Joy in this post.  Still not feeling like writing anything much. Perhaps I am a lazy blogger who is having a
quote holiday.  Also hope the birdy people like the birds I have posted for the bird memes.


Butchart Gardens


Johnny Clegg is Joyful.
********************************
Have a Brave Heart and it will all be ok.  I too am searching for a brave heart, a great heart.  Listen to the words of the song. Concert at the beautiful Butchart Gardens outdoor stage.




(Video info:  the first day I got my 7D I went to this concert, had no idea how to work it. It was a hot, hot summer day so I just turned on the darn thing and it turned out good!  unexpected joy is the best!)

*************************************************
 Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.




37 comments:

  1. Beautiful captures and thoughts and a lovely way to end my day! Thank you!! Have a great week, Nora!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see some pretty amazing photography in this delightful series of shots. Love how each quote/phrase goes with each picture so perfectly. Well done, Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great series of pictures. The Heron does look like he would fit in with the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately I have been given a little time to just BE and my soul soars at the joy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well I loved the series but the massive feet on the coot really took my eye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious moments and precious images Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Js - a Journey of Joy! I've never seen a coot's feet before - OMG!!! The frosty skeleton was also really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Bald Eagle 'toddler' is breathtaking!! And the quail...so well camouflaged; nature at its finest. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not help smiling when watching this video. This catchy tune had the audience as well as those on stage dancing. Imagine … you just turned a gadget on and got something really cool. It IS joyful when something works surprisingly well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful collection of photos! The scenes bring me joy, I love the beach. And the birds are awesome. I have never seen a Quail. Thanks for sharing, have a hppay week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love the great part of our world out your way. Wonderful fun!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots. You have taken us through wonderful joyous journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many gorgeous shots! Love the beach scenes and wow - bald eagles so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful series!! Looks very much like spring. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible shots! I liked those jelly fish in electrifying blue water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great batch of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw about 7 different types of jellyfish at the Aquarium in Mystic, CT - much more painful than they look!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post and beautiful bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All great photos and of course I love the sea scapes. The Quail is so cute crouched down in those bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots of beautiful scenery and I like the quotes too. The caption about it being as important to be as to do is great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A truly wonderful post Nora! Your quotes as well as the accompanying photographs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Nora..another wonderfully heart-felt post and I enjoyed the video.. made me smile which I need these days. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such wonderful words of wisdom (should be for W week! lol) and I can't pick my favourite quote! I read one and think "I'll tell her this one," and then I keep reading and I say, "No, this one!" Anyway, words for thought! Excellent!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  24. That coot does have very big feet! Funny!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your quotes and photos are stunning as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely pictures! And those quotes are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All precious journeys and captures full of JOY indeed! Love the bird shots too. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joyous and beautiful!

    January

    Catching up (again) with this week's entries.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello everyone that came to visit me. I am here. But the sun is shining and
    I have to go outside with my camera. I have visited most of your postings...hopefully. Thank you so much for visiting me and leaving me
    such nice little notes. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. stunning images and beautiful words. I particularly like the image of walking through the forest. So beautiful and peaceful. Thank you.
    Have a wonderful week. I am joining you through Our WOrld Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful shots and lovely quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's a wonderful journey you took us on this week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. An incredible Journey indeed. Vancouver Island is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes that heron looks as though it would be at home in any millennia. Cute coot and joyous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  36. THANKS SO MUCH FOR COMING. I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMENTED POSTINGS I HAVE DONE!! (it has a huge picture download on it also so I appreciate the time it took to read it)

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS