Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Victoria Dragon Boat Festival 2013



The Dragon Boat Festival 2013 was held on this weekend in Victoria, B.C.  It is a popular event here where paddlers come from all over Canada and the United States for fun and friendly competition and races.  I will post a few pictures of the races and festivities.


Some of these pictures are of the Ocean Rain Chinese Dancers that performed on the stage while we were there today. They were really wonderful! 



This is some info I found on the Dragon Boat Website:
"The Dragon Boat Festival - "Duan Wu Jie" in Chinese - is traditionally celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese lunar calendar. Most believe dragon boat festivals were established to commemorate a great patriot poet, Qu Yuan." 
 



Qu Yuan was in the court of the Emperor Huai around 475-221 BC.  He fought against corruption and  was exiled. He fell into despair and flung himself into the Miluo River.  He was not found but the local people threw rice and food into the water to stop the fish from eating him. Since that time he is commemorated by having the Dragon Races and by remembering the importance of loyalty and commitment to the community. These festivals are held worldwide now.  (credit to the Dragon Boat website for the info)




They also say that there is another theory that the very ancient Chinese communities may have had these celebrations to hold "evil" at bay as they believed the fifth month in the Chinese Lunar Calender is evil  and the fifth day is really bad too.  Whatever history the Dragon Boat Races comes from, it now is a beautiful, fun and friendly competition with lots of celebrations.





Bright paper lanterns are hung along the Inner Harbour.


 







My sister-in-law was in the races today and I am so proud of her.  She is very athletic.

Now for the birdy part:

My Funny Finches:
I have a lot of Goldfinches in the backyard now.  They are curious and funny!  They try to eat the fat!


They bring in fluffy cuddly babies for me to see.


They check out the hummers feeders.



Basically they are decorating the entire backyard with golden birds...so cute and pretty.  And the song they sing sounds like this " soooo sweet"!
Birds are amazing little things.



We are at the letter "F" for FUN, FESTIVALS AND FINCHES at the ABC Meme this week.  Hope you can find some Fun words in my posting.
Don't forget to check out my twitter page, my facebook page, my youtube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart


 


 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


46 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! The festival certainly looks like fun and it's also very colourful. The finches are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gunilla. Gunilla has a great blog about Finland.

      Delete
  2. That festival is filled with beautiful bright colours. I like bright colours so I really like these pictures. Cute little birds. It is a treat to have these on the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ruth. I enjoy the Goldfinches a lot.

      Delete
  3. We love the Victoria harbour and I bet it looks wonderful decked out with the lanterns.
    Lovely goldfinch photos.
    Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda, nice to see another Canadian blogger pop in to visit. Linda has a great gardening blog.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful goldfinches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni..Anni hosts a bird meme and has a great bird blog about Texas birding.

      Delete
  5. Both my siblings are paddlers and would've loved to have seen this. Love the images, full of energy & fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks LondonLulu....Lulu has a great blog from New Jersey.

      Delete
  6. Love the dragon boats!! The races will soon be on here. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, colorful festival and your captures are superb!! What fun!! Would love to have been there myself, but your photos are the next best thing! Thanks for sharing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fantastic, cheerful colors!! Just add water for fun!
    I hope to see Goldfinches here in about another month as fall migration brings them by our re-fueling station (feeder).

    Nora, thank you for a bright and satisfying post!

    Wally In Steamy Central Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wally. You have a great series of birds on your blog today.

      Delete
  9. It looks such fun for the spectators as well as the competitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun. Enjoyed your tour today.

      Delete
  10. Wow … sounds and looks like an exciting time, especially for your sister-in-law. Your photos do a good job of showing the synchronization required for both the dancers and the paddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penelope...nice posting today on the blog.

      Delete
  11. Such a colorful summer festival. The paddlers certainly have to be in synch as they are so close together in the dragon boats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photography of nature and the festival ~ thanks, carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the low tide shots on the blog today Carol.

      Delete
  13. Great shots of the dragonboat races. My SIl and BIl were also there, BIL is a coach. And of course I love all your birds, they are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is exciting that your SIL and BIL were here as well!!

      Delete
  14. Great to see the dragon boats - it is a fabulous sport. I competed in dragon boats for over 20 years with my local club, along with my husband and 2 sons and daughter-in-law (for a few years), as well as competing at International events in Hong Kong, Singapore and Penang. My 2 sons still compete and eldest son is a coach and sweep. So it was great to see your post today at Our World Tuesday. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, that is wonderful that you competed in the Races as well. I wonder if your sons will compete this year.

      Delete
  15. Fabulous photos of the Dragon Boats and all the lovely dancers (especially the young ones—so cute!) but I enjoyed your sweet little goldfinches best. I haven't seen any here in a long time, so it was such a treat to see yours.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a colorful and exciting celebration! It looks like a lot of fun.
    This post would look good in a magazine! Fantastic photos!
    Love the birds, I wish we had them around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely series of shots! Love those finches and the beautiful dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the shots from the festival and also the ones of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing festival to visit...and a delight for a photographer to be there♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic Festive Fotos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a festivities and so colorful! You can be proud of yous sister:) It was fun to see the expressions on the faces of the paddlers. Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the Dragon Boat Festivities -- Fun....you had wonderful stuff for the "F" letter! I had finches too, even tho I don't do the alphabet meme. But your pictures are better. Aren't they fun to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've captured so much action and color in that festival. It looks like a wonderful event!

    I have goldfinches too, though not so many this year as usual. They are such pleasant little visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks like fun.... Love the little goldfinch Nora.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Goldfinches are beautiful - I'd love to have some of them around my yard! We have a dragon boat and crew in our little town - I am not part of the crew as I find enough to do to kayak out and see the shorebirds. Was there a grand winner in the festival you attended?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a whole lot of fun. Great series.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved the colorful lanterns! A Feast for the eyes. Imagining a yard full of yellow birds is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for all your beautiful photos and the stories about the origine of the festival!
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  29. a lot of FASCINATING and particularly colorful, FOTOS!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like a fun competition!!! Love the dancers in their beautiful costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nora..you haven't posted in such a long time and I know you were having some health stuff.. I hope you are OK and to let you know I was thinking of you...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS