Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pretty Birds




Just my pretty birds in my yard today.  My Flicker comes to visit me.  He brings a friend sometimes.  He is getting braver and sleeps in this tree. He looks at my camera but does not leave now.  Usually announces his arrival with a piercing call for everyone to hear.  His wings make a lovely noise.
He likes the fat and peanuts.




Towhee is always singing and dancing.  I think she was born in the bushes by my fence.  She runs and hides in there if things get too wild at the feeder.
Oh and she has discovered she can fly up and feed from the feeder dish. She is supposed to be a ground feeder.  She talks to herself constantly.  She finds sunflower seeds under the feeder and does a little dance.



We have so many Chickadees and Juncos....must be the year for them.


They like to steal a sunflower seed and hide it in the tree for later.  I took all these pictures last week out in my garden.  The weather has been very warm and sunny here on Vancouver Island.


We also have a lot of Nuthatches. They always make a lot of beep beep noises or is it "neep neep".  They love peanuts.  Fast moving and always have a busy schedule, storing food.


Here is a Golden Crowned below.  We have a few at the feeder..I love their song.  Sometimes they sing "oh poor me".  I like to hear it in the
morning.  Really starts my day right.




A Downy Woodpecker below...we used to have a lot of them but not as many are coming this year or perhaps I just am not there when they arrive. Last year we had a family of them that lived at our feeder and would not bother to leave even if I was standing right there.



Female Blackbird below.  I don't mind when they come in...they have to eat something as well.  Sometimes they bring their boyfriends with them...
the males are pretty.  They can have a noisy party at the feeder. I hope you have enjoyed this visit to my backyard and my pretty birds.


It is "P" Week at the ABC Meme for my Pretty Birds.
I hope you all have a great week.  I am enjoying reading blogs more than writing one lately so I am going through a silent phase in my blog world.
I will get back to my schedule as soon as the weather turns to rain.  Thanks so much for visiting me.

Don't forget to check out my Twitter page, my Facebook page, my YouTube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


34 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful bird and a terrific capture!! Isn't it fun to have them around!! Thanks for sharing! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great series of photos and so many pretty birds. You are fortunate to have so many coming to visit so close at your feeders. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are pretty birds and it looks like you have the same kinds of birds that visit me. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, your little chickadee...
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI How lovely to have just a beautiful bird visit your garden. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a wonderful assortment of beautiful birds, but I guess that Flicker really tops my list today; lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, gorgeous collection of birds! Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful bird photos. So sharp and clear. I am still working on my bird pictures - they can be hard to capture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the photos set against that fall foliage! I tried living in Toronto in 2011 but found it hard to find work and settle in. On a sad day walking through a park, a Chickadee flew down and landed on me. To my great surprise, the same type of Nuthatch in your photo followed it straight after. I'll always love those little birds for trying to cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great photos! I especially love the chickadee and the Golden-crowned Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful birds in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be over the moon if a flicker AND a towhee visited my yard! Great shots all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful variety of birds visitng you, you have captured them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very pretty bird, and your capture is perfect! Have a great weekend, Nora:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nora these are incredible pictures...I love all of them... you are so lucky to have such a great variety in your yard. I love your description of the towhee...I've noticed how they chatter .

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely serie of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I look at your photos and read about the birds with great interest always hoping I will remember their names. But alas each week I try and guess before reading and each week I am wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chickadees and nuthatches look different than ours - Ours have more gray and white, and none of the warm chestnut color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice series of bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Nora.... I love seeing birds photos and these are fun... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. What pretty birds, indeed! I especially like your woodpecker as it was my first recitation in front of the class in 1st grade. "The woodpecker pecked out a little round hole, and made him a home in the telephone pole". I'm never forgotten it, and that was 1947.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely shots - that flicker photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lot of lovely birds you have visiting you. We have the Western Towhee -- not as pretty as yours and ours too learned to fly up to the feeder. We actually had several generation of that towhee. No white crowned sparrows as yet. We had them at our old house every winter and spring, but no sign of them yet this year at our new home. Though we are only a few minutes away from our old house, the environment is woodland so maybe they won't venture down here. I'll just have to be patient. I love your blog with such great bird pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great camera work, lovely images of this amazing bird variety

    ReplyDelete
  27. So, so pretty all of them and I am so looking forward to having the Dark Eyed Juncos visit for the Winter months...any day now~

    ReplyDelete
  28. You certainly have a gift for photography. Thanks for sharing these. Wonderful that you get to enjoy so much beauty in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous Photos! I was surprised to so many of the same ones as I have in my Ohio yard.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments...it will take me a week to read all your blogs! I do go and
    read each blog that comments to me and I try to join their google friends if I can. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  31. With birds like this in my garden I don't think I'd ever go out! Very nice.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! so many beautiful birds in your area. We have a lot of great things where I live, but a lot of colorful birds isn't one of them. Really nice photos!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS