Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Radiation Birds and Humans

 
This is going to be a little bit different than the usual birding posting. I want to talk about Radiation, the effect on birds and the earth and what to do about it.   Keep in mind I am no expert, just your curious blogger friend.


I am just going to sprinkle some photos I like around in here so as not to be too boring.  That is a Red-breasted Sapsucker on the very top and this is what we used to call a Rufous-sided Towhee above.

Golden-crowned sparrow
 
I am of course concerned about the birds and how this radiation around Fukushima affected them. I may incorrectly display affect (verb) and effect (noun) but hope you will understand. Those bloggers into grammar can leave corrections in the comments....I sometimes do the blog very fast and have many errors and little time to correct them. I only care about the message I have to give you.
 
Red House Finch
 
From what I researched on the studies the birds had a higher incidence of cataracts when exposed to radiation.  Eyesight is very significant in the survival of a bird so this is pretty devastating. They have done studies after Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and now Fukushima.

Red Crossbill
 
There is this floating radioactive garbage island from Fukushima about the size of Texas located somewhere northeast of the Hawaiian islands and crossing the Pacific Ocean.  Some of the debris has already arrived.  Also there is the possibility that there will be more problems with Fukushima and another incident could occur.

Raven
 
The bird studies revealed also that there were reductions in numbers of birds and in longevity, in male fertility, more birds had smaller brains, highly elevated DNA mutation rates, developmental abnormalities, higher cancer rates, extinctions of bird species, higher rates of deaths of young birds. The birds in Chernobyl had a high incidence of albino feathering and tumours.

Kingfisher
 
What will the effect on our food supply be as well. Even the trees in Chernobyl were dwarfed and had bright orange rings showing the events.

So the fish and sea life and the birds and the earth are all affected.
The birds are only part of the whole environment and they illustrate
what could happen to humanity as well.  The food we eat could have the radiation molecules in them and they just stay inside of us.

Great Blue Heron
 
What to do?  What can any one person do?  I don't know how to save the entire earth but I will give you some ideas of what can be done personally for your own health if you live near where the radioactive debris will swirl around and land or if there is another immediate disaster in Fukushima or elsewhere.  They won't give us this news until it is too late. I just got this info from reading and listening to others more knowledgeable than myself.

Killdeer
 
Radiation affects the thyroid in humans and the thyroid is necessary for your immunity to work correctly.  Ionizing radiation turns into hydrogen peroxide which melts, or cooks the thyroid, fat, protein cells.  It also enlarges by ten times all the other toxins in your body fat and bone marrow.

Red-tailed Hawk
 
How do you control this excess?  You need antioxidants to take care of it.
Good antioxidants are Selenium, Vitamin C, NAC, and Melatonin.  Also organic Green Tea and the pectin in organic apples is beneficial. Atlantic Kelp and Sea Weed is good for this as well.  Probiotics for the gut are beneficial for detox also.  Deep breathing and exercise is surprisingly good as it opens and adds moisture to our bodies. Spirulina and algae from the health store remove toxins from the gut.  Mushrooms grab onto radioactive particles so they are ok if not radiated themselves. Best to purchase mushrooms from the health store.

I would mention iodine for the thyroid but that would take a whole page to go into so taking kelp and sea weeds is much safer and will have to do for now.  I have to put in a disclaimer that I am only repeating info from the web here and use my advice at your own discretion.

Little Mink Very Cute!
 

 Purified water, air purifiers and just taking our shoes off from outside are simple things to do.  I am taking Vitamin A, or using a Carotenoid Complex for the cataracts I have so that might help also. There are many experts in this field and if interested you could research far more than this basic info here. I am not trained in this area. This is just a brief summary of what I was researching for my own survival. It is a helpless feeling when we know we will not really be informed or educated on what to do if there is a disaster.


Sea Lion
 
What to do in our homes if there is another meltdown at Fukushima?  Well that is a topic for another blog another day!!

Little Froggy so cute
 

Little expired bat above...I did not see the white dust from the white-nose syndrome that is killing all the bats ...this bat was found in Campbell River so I am not sure if the disease has reached this area or not. Imagine a world without bats....that will be terrible as they eat a lot of mosquitoes and insects.

My greatest wish is to help to protect all those innocent birds and animals that wander into the dangerous path of this primitive and destructive human society we live in.  And I don't know how to do that. I feel very depressed about this sometimes and feel I have walked on this earth for so many years enjoying the beauty here but I have done nothing to protect that beauty. I don't know what to do.... so I blog. These are the pictures I took over the
last month. They are from the Canon 7D with the 100-400 lens.

It is R week at the ABC Meme, R for Radiation.  Thank you for reading this and please leave a comment if this post interested you at all.  I had to remove my contact as I kept getting a notice that someone was trying to hack it. Anyone else getting that?  The only place I put it is in the memes.

                                     ************************

Don't forget to check out my twitter page, my Facebook page, my YouTube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.





73 comments:

  1. thanks for your information on radiation; it is certainly alarming. As to the bats - they are also great pollinators so a world without them and bees and birds of course, means no crops/food on the table. I loved the little mink and especially too, the little sapsucker up top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment Carole. Yes without bees we have no fruit, not many crops.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that information on the radiation. It is funny you talk about the Thyroid, mine is not up to par, doing the Kelp thing . Love all you images. I think it is a good thing to keep ourselves informed on these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, I have heard that there is an epidemic of thyroid problems along our coast.

      Delete
  3. How many more nuclear accidents will it take before we admit that we can't really control this kind of power. And that's to say nothing about bombs used in anger and those tested, low-level leakage which occurs all the time and radiation from waste and de-commissioned plants. Thanks for making us think about something which, if I'm really honest, I'd far rather not think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to See John back again ....it is time for us to start thinking now. Time to wake up and turn off the TV that is just dumbing us down.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nora, well anything out there that was affected at the time, depending on the dose it received, will either survive and recover because it wasn't a harmful dose, or will die if it was. Not much anyone can do about that now. Nature always has a way of recovering from anything eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roy, nice to see you here. I guess I was just wondering what everyone was going to do
      ...I must have a plan. We all need to have a plan because the time will come and we will
      find out too late. But with a plan we can at least attempt to prevent damage even from
      low level radiation for a while.

      Delete
  5. Hi, it's me Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'...but I'm now in my personal blog's admin {hootin' anni's}...and wanted to know that after reading this great post and very informative it is ---that you did a good thing by posting your questions and answers to open up OUR eyes to the devastation we humans are playing in the role of the eco systems!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni. Thanks for the support. It is difficult to change the theme of a blog from nature to health...felt a little dangerous, that I may lose you all. It is always a risk to openly write about something no one wants to face or even think about. But no one else is going to make you aware or come and help you...help yourself.

      Delete
  6. It is very disturbing to think how man, through "progress", can cause more harm than good. I appreciate all the thought and time that went into your post. Wish I had answers. The shots of your birds are very nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, thanks for your comment. I did put thought into this post more than just the birding posts I do.
      There is no one solution to the problems we will face. I think we have to be aware and searching.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post, which is an important one and also, I believe, a courageous one to write on a nature-focused blog. In our household we are grappling with the issue of Fukishima impacts, and the whole subject is so overwhelming and difficult to find any hope in, that it's hard to write about. So I applaud you for doing this. I also like the photos, especially the one of the mink with the rockfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laurie, thanks you for those supportive words. I liked the link in your blog so I added it below.
      It has a lot more info on what an individual can do for their family. I think we are only at the beginning of this situation. No one wants to hear depressing news but we are not informed about
      what has happened and is happening in Fucushima.

      Delete
  8. HI Thank you for a very informative but alarming post. it is always better tobe informed so one can dsomething about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post and information... I hadn't thought of the affect on birds specifically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madge. I guess I thought of birds first! Humans second.

      Delete
  10. Such a wonderful and informative post it is indeed!! And, yes, it is alarming! Thank you so much for sharing and your captures are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia. Always nice to visit your blog.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing the Radiation information. All the tips on vitamins, green tea and sea weed are great. I love all your bird photos, a wonderful variety you are sharing. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the other bloggers will join me in this journey and hope my readers remain with me.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I live across Ipswich Bay from a Seabrook New Hampshire where there is an older power plant. My brother lives near Vermont Yankee, which I understand will be decommissioned shortly. I lived in Oak Ridge, Tennessee for 50 weeks. I had to get out. The have some open pits from the WWII era that are still hot. I was talking with an old timer, "Ya, the birds eat the fish and frogs and then their poop is radioactive." "Great", I thought to myself. "If the bomb doesn't get us, the bird crap will." These are all examples of man not taking responsibility for their creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if we added up all the areas of the earth that are now contaminated there would not be
      much left.

      Delete
  13. The pictures are beautiful and in such contrast to the alarming information ... I had never thought of the effect on birds specifically.... we have not taken care of our Mother Earth very well have we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wanted the contrast to be dramatic. Nature gives us these amazing beautiful animals and plants and birds....what do we do? Because of the nature of mankind, the greed of large corporations, very little can be done until at some point it is too late to do anything.

      Delete
  14. thanks so much for all these comments...I found this link to a good article on this subject from Eye on Environment above in the comments there.... The Helpful Article on Vitamins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful are your photos.
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks to you in the Netherlands. I followed.

      Delete
  16. Great photos of the birds - very beautiful - and the little mink that looks so cute. It is very alarming to think about all the damage we humans have done and are doing to our environment. Thanks for your very thought-provoking and helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mick. These comments come from all over the world. Nice to see that.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mick. Nice to see these comments from all over the world here.

      Delete
    3. My comments are stuttering and repeating, blogger acting up again!!! I dislike the delete message blogger only allows us to give, so will leave.

      Delete
  17. Your shots of the natural world are just amazing! Sometimes I wonder what on earth we are doing to nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ladyfi from Sweden. I wonder are you safe anywhere from radiation. Have they tested the milk in Sweden.

      Delete
  18. The unseen dangers which are all around makes it a dangerous world for so many innocent people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nora, thank you for taking the time to pass along what you have gleaned from your research.

    Love all of your photographs!

    Wally in the Fall in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos, it is incredible what we do with this world. Not only radiation also countless chemicals of unkown effect will provide a rude awekening for us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting post. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great bird and animal shots! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Frightening and so sad.
    We truly are making a mess of our planet.
    Thanks for the information and your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very little is in the news about Fukushima though they are still pouring radiated water into the ocean. Our wildlife and food supply are all in danger, but we are too busy to pay attention. Like you I feel a great deal of frustration with what humans are doing to our earth and all of the innocent inhabitants. We are like a viral scorge that can't be stopped. It is hard to know what to do ... like you we try to take care of ourselves and help the wildlife that surrounds us, but the problems are overwhelming ... where would you start? What would you do? And who would listen to us anyway ... very discouraging. I do appreciate all of your information. It is usefull and the fact that you went to this trouble to put it out here tells me that there are others who care, who share in my concerns. Thank you for that ... we need to be reminded once in awhile. Great post!

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Andrea. We all share our feelings here. I appreciate that you took the time to give me part of yourself for my blog and for me. Perhaps out of this there is more awareness.

      Delete
  25. Frankly, I'm terrified by the reduction of the bees and bats. GREAT resrearch!
    ROG, ABC Wednesdauy team

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for a great post. One hardly realises the long term effects of radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos! It is alarming what humans are doing to the earth and nature. Unfortunately, I don't think things are going to get much better in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are slowly killing our planet, as an individual I do my bit as in walking more often if I can and leave the car behind, recycle, turn lights off etc etc, however the best thing I do is get out in the open spaces and fresh air as often as I can while I am in good enough health to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes....we are lucky to have air here. In some other countries the air is very hard to breath.

      Delete
  29. it is such a shame that wildlife is so affected. Wonderful research!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no.. I have been reading about this and how it will affect fish on the US west coast.... We humans are so very bad for the planet... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting post - between the radiation and the rising sea we seem to be in a bit of a mess. Its hard not to feel overwhelmed.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  32. You got some great shots, not only of the birds that are so beautiful, but all of the mammals you photographed as well...That little Mink is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. Yes these are some of my favourite photos I got over the last month.

      Delete
  33. beautiful photos. hopefully we can save them for our future generations

    ReplyDelete
  34. How very true and important your message is. Love the photo of the first bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks tradgardssurr in Sweden. I found the google translator I have on my browser translated your blog well. Also in Chrome there is auto translate which is good. I wonder if Wordpress has a
      translator to add to their blogs.

      Delete
  35. Sigh. Thanks for this post. We humans are unforgivably reckless sometimes and building nuclear reactors is one of the craziest things we do. We need to be appreciate that we are part of a web of creation that includes so much more than just ourselves. May we change our ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the web of life we weave is the web that everything is depending upon and which we are
      currently destroying. Perhaps Mother Earth will just wipe us all out and start over.

      Delete
  36. First off, this a fantastic series of photos. It's also a very thought provoking post.

    The ongoing Fukushima disaster scares the heck out of me. We live on the southern california coast and just 17.8 miles from the nuclear plant at San Onofre. That is just inside the plant evacuation zone and miles inside the local evacuation zone. It looks like it will never reopen and that makes me very happy. My wife's family lives in Japan and we often wonder what the long term effect is going to be for them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for writing about Fukushima. It really requires our diligence to keep track of this impending disaster. I worry about the sea life, but I admit I had not thought about the affect on the birds. Such a tragedy. Your photographs are absolutely stunning and a perfect juxtaposition to the discussion of what we have done to our beautiful planet.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS