Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Elusive Redwing in Victoria



Elusive meaning difficult to find, catch or achieve.  This describes my relationship with the Redwing, the bird that has arrived here from Asia.  Oh it is not very far from my house as I am sure that it has flown here only to visit me.  Many of my bloggers and readers are from Europe. I am sure it is for me.  Problem is, we go there and it is ELUSIVE.  It is either hiding in the holly tree or up on the hill in the oak trees. Sigh.





I never have met my wonderful little Redwing that flew by accident all the way so close to my house, however I have met so many birders from all over North America. We all stand there by the holly tree, binoculars up, ready for the elusive glimpse of our royal visitor.  Everyone has seen it, except me! My heart is broken by this little valentine.



As I have no pictures, I quickly drew a few little amateur pics of how I dream it would look.  It did fly over my head when my husband got his photos of it. These are his photos below.



But it was this far away:


This is the big news in our bird world here.  My neighbour got a great picture of it, linking to article.  Excellent Video of Redwing News  Local Newspaper Article on Redwing



I did get great photos of the Cattle Egret that was here not long ago in a farmers field.  It was one of those moments I will never forget. The kind farmer came rushing all the way down the road and over across the fields to call us up to his house to see the bird better! The small community where the Redwing is has had to adjust to many birders being on their quiet street all the time. It is the only Redwing in North America, and only the second time for one in B.C. It flew in the wrong direction, got mixed up or in a storm.  It was looking for me, I am sure.



Also I did get some not so great shots of the Long-EARED Owl that was here a while ago.  It was deep in the bushes. It was wonderfully EERIE looking, strange and a bit like an E.T.


My hubby got a great photo of an elk a few weeks ago at downtown Youbou, standing right on the road.  They have a lot of elk there.

I usually can find an Eagle out at Goldstream. This youngster was near the river a few weeks ago.

We are at the letter "E"  for the ABC Meme and these are all my eeeees in this post.


Here is a little fence on the bridge at Esquimalt Lagoon and Fisgard Lighthouse in the background.  (For Good Fences Meme)

Thank you to all my bloggers for returning to  me after my year absence due to my bad eyes and leukemia.  I cherish each of your friendships and appreciate your blogs as they are part of my life.

Links to articles on Redwing:  Birdalert  American Birding Assoc. article on our Redwing  The Province Newspaper



Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
The Bird D'pot  RubyTuesdayToo  Our World Tuesday  Nature Notes Tuesday    Wild Bird Wednesday ABC Wednesday  Outdoors Wednesday    GoodFences Thursday
Paint Party Friday Sunday Sketches
To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

46 comments:

  1. I love your lighthouse photo. That sky! And your beautiful drawings/paintings? I'm viewing this on my phone. :-( Lovely talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Cranberry. You have a great blog also. Yes all our blogs show well on phones now and tablets. Blogger has gone through an evolution since I first started to blog many years ago before Google owned blogger. In 1999 Blogger was started by a small company in San Francisco, Pyra Labs, just three friends. They were bought out in 2002 by Google. There were hard times early on as Blogger was such a small company. I think it is better that Google bought it. There were huge changes the year Google took over. It is always agony to go through changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the owl! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, the owl was a rare one for our island, and very strange looking.

      Delete
  4. Redwing are pretty common over here in winter but can still be elusive if you specifically set out to see them, so I sympathise with anyone who has just the one to spot. The key to identification is usually to see the stripe above the eye, not the red under the wing. Some lovely photos of the Egret and the Owl, both of which would be notable sightings here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I remember blogging with you in 2011. I lost my Google Friend Connect as it would not work for a few years. Now it is back on and working so I am able to follow you again! Thanks for connecting with me. Yes I understand that you do get the Redwing there in winter, probably in flocks!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mac. I enjoy your novels.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing your drawings of the Redwing. The photos are quite lovely too. I hope you get to see it, or has it already moved on? Great photos of the egret, owl, and eagle. Ah, you remind me of all the beauty we would see when we were living on the Olympic Peninsula. Enjoy every moment of the wildness you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi robin andrea, I remember blogging with you in 2010. When Lost was on tv, they borrowed your Dharma name! Hope you feel better soon. The Redwing is still here but when I go there to the spot, it is never there and when I leave, we get a call that it has just arrived! What is up with that?

      Delete
  7. What a delightful post! Love your drawings of the redwing. I'm sorry you didn't have better luck photographing one. Your hubby's shots were so good. Love the egret too, and the owl and eagle, and oh the elk!!! What a kind farmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie! I think I remember your blog, Springtime in Magnolia from before. I see you have moved on to Google+ like so many. I eventually will move on to it also. Thanks for your comment here.

      Delete
  8. What beautiful photos. I love your bird paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyful, I think you must be in BC. Thanks for coming to visit and for the comment.

      Delete
    2. Hello there, yes I'm in beautiful BC (Vancouver). Thank you for visiting and following me. I'll be sure to check your blog too! The Island is beautiful with many wonderful photo opps ;-)

      Delete
  9. What lovely drawings of the redwing! And a magnificent eagle shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ladyfi. Lovely snow photos on your blog.

      Delete
  10. Hello, that is awesome to see the Redwing. I love your sketches. Pretty shots of the birds and the owl. I love the scenic view of the lighthouse. Great post. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The drawings and photo's are great, nice choices for this weeks letter !

    have a nice abc-day / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the redwing flew off course to find you! And I would love to be that close to an eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous aspects of nature! Lovely birds, so rare to see near a city... And the drawings are so great!
    All the best in february!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I do hope that fate puts you in the same place as the redwing sometime soon...Of course, he veered off course especially to see you. My son offered lodging to a white crowned sparrow who did the same thing, up in the Chilcotin country. The bird stayed with him all winter (indoors, in a cage - it is cold country) and I know he was great company.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello!:) What an enjoyable post with so many great images of birds. Sorry you didn't get photos of the Redwing, but the Egret, Owl, Elk, and Eagle are fantastic shots, and your Redwing sketches are charming.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elusive....what a perfect word.
    Love your paintings and the photos your Hubby captured.
    The Bird World is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous little paintings and beautiful nature photography ~ awesome!

    Happy week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Beautiful photos of these elusive birds. Love that shot of a long eared owl. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the shot of the lighthouse/view from the fence. Lovely bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You drawing is so perfect. Loved the way you worked on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos!
    A never heard of, let alone seen a long eared owl. Nice catch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. your post is anything but elusive!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  23. Apart from an excellent photographer you are also a good drawer of birds. You know a lot about birds. I like visiting your blog.
    Wil, ABCWTeam

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful drawings of the Redwing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nora these are wonderful pictures and I love your redwing sketches (paintings?) as well! That long-eared owl is amazing (I have never gotten a picture of any owl, let alone this one I've never even heard of). The story of the redwing is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos! Redwings are wonderful birds, they visit us in Scotland every winter

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice post - Redwings were always a sign of winter back in the UK when I was a kid - their little voice - seep-seep-seep - was a sure sign of cold weather to come.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Nora, Hope you finally get to see your Redwing.... Maybe he will come out and pose for you soon. BUT--I love the pictures of the 'critters' you have seen (owl, elk, eagle).... GORGEOUS.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nora....I am so far behind this week, getting around to visiting with you from your shared link at I'd Rather B Birdin'. For that I apologize, but a birthday celebration and days warm enough to get us outside doing some over the winter yard cleaning kept me outdoors and away from the computer!

    Your images are super!!! I do hope you spotted the redwing [I LOVED your sketches!!] And the photos on your post...magnificent.

    Thanks for linking up. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  30. some great shots of birds and an elk, too! thanks for the fence shares, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How neat so see such a variety of birds. I like the Egret, the Owl and also seeing the Elk.
    Lovely view of the lighthouse in your fence shot.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh.... I love the art work. You are so talented with your photos and art.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful bird photos! Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful art and fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such great images--I love the bird art also. I adore birds and live with a few. :) Owls are a particular favorite. Happy to say I am a new follower. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful little illustrations of the red wing...and love the photos and your descriptions of the owl looking like ET...he really does!! Very nice post!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS