Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wonderful World



What a wonderful world .....

we live in.  This week as we were driving I saw an eagle family in a field.  The young were learning to hunt as the field has been plowed and there were rodents to catch.  It looked like there was a young one from this year and an older one and then two mature sat on a tree nearby watching.  Sometime one of the matures would come down and catch a mouse.  They would all have a little tussle about it.  Above photo for Our World Tuesday.


I wish I could still carry my long Canon lens, I would have better photos.  These were taken with the GH4. I stood out in the field but did not get close as did not want to disturb the teaching lesson. These photos are for Wild Bird Wednesday.


As we drove by a house later, we saw this carving.  Also there was a carved nest with babies and another eagle!
I think it was a First Nations carver.


It is the time for the ducks to show off their babies.
 Ducks For Michelle at Nature Notes Tuesday.

Some babies come up close to you.
For Water World Wednesday.

The Brant were gathered at Island View a short time ago.
For Black and White Wednesday.

We found our first baby owl this year at a park nearby.
For all owl lovers and for the 
ABC Wednesday Meme. The baby owl wonders who we are.

As I walked up a river bed in the water, I saw three heads pop up from the bush beside me.  They were just as curious about me and the camera.
For Outdoors Wednesday.

We are doing well in our first year learning about Butterflies.
This is a Field Crescent.
For Little Things Thursday.

We spent a sunny day at the beach.  (For Wednesday Waters).What a wonderful world we live in.  I am in wonder and awe of nature and what gifts she gives us.
We are at the letter "W" at the ABC Wednesday Meme for Wonderful World.







Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 Nature Notes Tuesday   Our World Tuesday    Wild Bird Wednesday ABC Wednesday  Outdoors Wednesday  Black and White Wednesday  Water World Wednesday  Wednesday Waters Little Things Thursday


To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

28 comments:

  1. Lots of great stuff here. I enjoyed all the photos. I think the deer are just so sweet looking along with the adorable baby owls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being a respectful observer Nora.... Cute baby time now... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I love Bald Eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic captures of the Eagles in action

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shot of the eagles vying over the food. You live in such a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing your wildlife with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes what a wonderful world we live in Nora. greatto have watched the Eagle at their lesson. Gorgeous butterfly, cute ducklings and great to see the baby Owl as well as the 3 Deer. Loved the song on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely pastime shooting butterflies Nora. What lens do you use with your GH4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy, thanks for the comment and question. I use the 100 - 300 lens on the GH4. (200 - 600 mm equivalant). I wonder if they will come out with a new long lens soon. I am not happy with any action shots I take on the GH4 as no matter what shutter speed I put it on, (1300 or more) it is either blurry or does not get enough light so is dark. I have not mastered it yet!

      Delete
    2. Hi Nora, When I used that lens I always set it on Aperture at f8 for the best results. Try that rather than shooting on Shutter speed. Setting it on f8 and the camera will sort out the shutter speed accordingly.
      Panasonic have now come out with a 100-400 (i.e. 200-800mm in 35mm terms) its a lot more expensive though.
      Roy

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much Roy. Oh I wish I could get that new lens! I will dream of it. Thanks again for the advice ..I will try the f8 setting right away.

      Delete
  8. really beautifull photo's....the world indeed can be a beautiful place, if only more people would value it more.

    Have a nice abcwednes-day / – week
    ♫ M e l d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    (http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-18-w/)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Nora, awesome shots of the eagles. I love the cute owl and ducklings. I love the view at the beach, very pretty. You do live in an awesome area! Wishing you a happy day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful wildlife shots, but the ones of the eagles are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos. We always love seeing the eagles when we visit BC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the shots of the eagles in action :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nature has treated you to many special moments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That must have been a wonderful sight watching the eaglets learning how to hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful captures, Nora! I love what your seeing through your lens this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know I wrote this post before the Orlando tragedy. I could not even process what had happened there in time to write about it so I just did a post on a Wonderful World. It is such a wonderful world if we could all just get along and let everyone be who they are. Just imagine as John Lennon did what we could achieve if we could just give peace a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love seeing those eagles. I sure do miss them. I know we have them here, but not in our neck of the woods. Not sure if you know about this website for butterflies and moths, but in case you don't here's link:
    http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/
    The very best site for identifications.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I'm in awe that you live in an area where you can catch so many amazing creatures in action with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful to see eagles. They're handsome birds. I love the cute ducklings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You capture such great motion!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - great stuff. I especially love the eagles and the baby owl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Those eagle shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible action shot you captured!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nora the eagle action shots are great and I absolutely love that little owl. (And am envious.) just lovely pictures aall around.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS