Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Catching Up Birds




I am catching up on some of the Link Ups that I have missed since I have returned to blogging from a blogging break.



I have a lot of birds to catch up on.


The birding in Victoria and Vancouver Island has been so exciting and has kept us busy looking for new birds.These are Bohemian Waxwings above. They are for Hootin' Anni's Link Up on Sunday. They have more red on their under-tail and head than our Cedar Waxwings.  We commonly get the Cedar Waxwings here but never get these, so it was very exciting to see these beauties.
FOR THE BIRD D'POT:

This is a Northern Mockingbird above in Duncan.  We get these birds once in a while on the island.  They are very territorial and like the fat feeders.


This is a Short-eared Owl out in Martindale Flats and the Pink-footed Geese are below also in Martindale Flats. I think it was the first time anyone has seen a Pink-footed goose here.  They saw one years ago in Washington.  Perhaps they are released birds as I am not sure they could make it here from Greenland or Iceland or Northern Europe.  These are very distant shots of both. The Pink-footed are on the right side of the photo.

FOR NATURE NOTES TUESDAY;
This is a Sora at a pond not too far from home.  The Sora is for Michelle at Ramblingwoods for Nature Notes Tuesday, as I think she would like one of these. The Soras seem to like to hide but this one came out with the ducks on the edge of the pond.





OUR WORLD TUESDAY
This is a Field Sparrow at Esquimalt Lagoon for Our World Tuesday!  Our World is full of birds! This bird is mostly from the Eastern U.S. I think it was the first one seen in B.C. I often wonder how these rare birds manage to get here.



Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

The Bird D'Pot Sunday Thank you to Hootin' Anni

Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods

Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

55 comments:

  1. Extraordinary photos Nora!! ALL OF THEM. I will have to see the range of the waxwing...it's beautiful. And the pink footed goose reminds me of the movie...'the big year' - one birder in the competition was searching for the pink footed goose!

    Thank you for sharing with us at I'd rather b birdin' ... it's good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only saw the Cardinal at first..great photos..I never saw a Sora..interesting bird..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sora is a very handsome bird. Never seen a picture of one before. The Field Sparrow has quite the hairdo? hat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Cedar Waxwing is a gorgeous bird, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Nora -- I started out smiling at your beautiful Bohemian Waxwing! And I just kept getting happier and happier for you (and admitedly a bit envious of your beautiful birds and your photo talent) This is just a wonderful post. I saw a sora once and only once. So exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, what a thrill to see this bird - and to get such a beautiful picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful series of photographs of different birds.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice selection of birds Nora. I have not seen a Waxwing this winter even though there have been some around. I'm not a twitcher. Interesting that you have 2 "pinkies". I think it unlikely they would reach Vancouver but we will probably never know for sure when geese and ducks are kept for pets. Soras are a nice bird to see - once over here on the Isles of Scilly but it was verey difficult to see and nothing like your clear views.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos, espeacially the Waxwing, it is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fabulous birds with such pretty colors. Welcome back to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gatecrashed your blog - wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful bird photos Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nora, this is just MAGNIFICENT!!!! It gave me goosebumps!..:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots of birds. They are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The waxwing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... what a wonderful photo of the waxwing Nora.... absolutely regal looking he is ...and, the berries and perfect blue of the sky..couldn't be better if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love seeing the birds you are seeing there. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy to see you back Nora and posting wonderful birds...Hope you are doing well...I may have to take a break depending on my cataract surgery in 2 weeks. One eye is really cloudy and the other is blurry so I hope to get both done, one two weeks later and be able to see and drive. I know you have had issues...This shouldn't be complicated I hope....Again so happy to see you...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful birds all of them. I loved to see the Sora as it was new to me. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really great photos Nora! Even better when enlarged. It's nice to see you back in action...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, Awesome birds. I love the Sora, they are hard to find! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Nora....wonderful captures and I love the Sora. I had not even heard of this bird.... I just need cataracts removed and then there is a retinal issue that will be taken care of in the future. It is just a matter of being healthy enough to have it done. My left eye is very cloudy and the other one is blurry....A week from Monday for the first....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  25. How beautiful!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS