Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Dowitcher, Ducks and Cormorants


I think these are Dowitchers, the long billed ones.  The algae in the pond had turned red.

 These photos are for Stewart at Wild Bird Wednesday.


Flying Dowitchers at Sidney Spit. I am not very good at my shorebirds.  Someone will tell me what it is.


Below are Ducks:  this one is a Cinnamon Teal.  These photos are for the ABC Team and ABC Wednesday.  I am hoping the ABC Team will continue on next year.



This is a Bufflehead Duck.


These are Harlequin Ducks and I fell on the rocks at Cattle Point as I took this photo.  Both cameras were in front of me but I only scratched them a bit.  My leg got all bruised and cut up and hurt like heck for a long time.



Double-crested Cormorants:  the one below is a young one as he has white on him.


Here you can see the double-crest of the cormorant which is only seen in breeding season. The crests are white in Alaska and black in other regions.  Photo at Albert Head.


Cormorant at Swan Lake above.

Thursday:  For Good Fences Thursday a Mockingbird on a fence in Duncan..





Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

We are at the letter D at the ABC Link Up today.

Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart, Paying Ready Attention
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the Team
GoodFences Thursday Thank you to Gosia for taking over Good Fences and thanks to  TexWisGirl, Run 'A' Round Ranch
(I have been on a blogging break and so many changes!)

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

39 comments:

  1. Magnificent photos of our feathered friends for the letter D ~ great post ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy and Peaceful week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ducks, - such a wonderful variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat.... birdphoto's. love it.

    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20d/
    (want to take a preview at the new url starting round 21 ? http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing these shorebirds there. We've been heading out to the marsh here all winter looking for Cinnamon Teal and have not seen one. Lovely to see one there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Très belle série ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful pictures of the Ducks and the other birds,
    some i haven't seen before so thank you so much for sharing
    your brilliant photographs and I'm so sorry you had a fall whilst
    taking them.
    I do hope you weren't too shaken up and have recovered from your
    injuries, take care,
    Kind regards,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Trubes, yes all better now.

      Delete
  7. I am not fluent in bird, so I can't help you at all with your question.
    However, I am fluent in photography and these are some fantastic ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost hear that second cinnamon teal quacking -- fantastic portraits every single one. Love them all. Shorebird ID is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a nice array of birds!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know much about birds and ducks but I enjoyed your photos of them very much. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sure they are Dowitchers - but we dont get them here so I am no expert (and I'm no expert on the ones we do get here either!)

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh beg to differ, me thinks you know a lot more birds than I do! I guess these are Dowitchers.

      Delete
  12. Hello Nora, you've found a lovely lot of birds. I like those ducks as well, the Cinnamon Teal in particular. That fall on the rocks must've been a shock, hope you're feeling ok. Good news about the cameras too :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mostly concerned about both my cameras, but they seem to still work even though they fell apart!
      I have recovered now.

      Delete
  13. Very pretty shots, it's nice to watch the birds, even when i don't know what kind they are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice bird on the fence

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the photo of the birds in flight...those are hard for me to take. We saw a cinnamon teal yesterday...the first time we've seen one and could identify it. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the wonderful variety of birds here. I've never seen some of these ducks. I really liked the Cinnamon colored one. Also a very nice shot of the bird on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful shots of the birds -especially the cormorant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. I love seeing all kinds of birds in all situations :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joyful!

      Delete
  19. beautiful birds you share. Loved to see the Cinnamon Teal. Don´t think I have seen it before :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS