Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Eagle Raises Red-tailed Hawk baby Sidney


 An Eagle couple is raising a Red-tailed hawk baby in its nest in Sidney, B.C! Only on Vancouver Island....

This is weird, wonderful and wild!  In Sidney there is a nest where an eagle has a Red-tailed hawk baby in it and they are feeding it. If you click on the pictures they get much larger.
I think the nest has been there for many years but they never have had a Red-tailed hawk baby in it.  There are a few reports of this happening over the years but I think only two or three times before, not many times.  (This pesky crow is always dive bombing the eagle).
No one seems to know how the hawk baby got to the nest.  One resident said she noticed it about 12 days ago.  It will need to survive for two more weeks before it is ready to go.
The nest has three eaglets in it!  They are huge and the hawk baby is really tiny.  Possibly the eagle parents could have brought the hawk baby in as food and when it started to cry to be fed, their maternal instincts came in and they started to feed it. The pictures above and one below show the large eaglets in the nest.
Or the eagles could have brought in a Red-tail hawk as food and then the hawk laid the egg and somehow it was able to hatch.  This theory has so many hardships though for the hawk to survive.
There must be a good food source there or the eaglets will look at the hawk baby as food. In the pictures above you can just barely see the hawk baby.  I can't hold my long lens anymore as I am not strong enough so these are all taken with my little Panasonic.

So the eagles have taken a Red-tailed hawk baby under their WING!  We are at the letter "w" this week for the ABC Links. Weird Wonderful Wacky!

I have some video I took but without the tripod and only with my little Panasonic so I did not do well, sorry the quality is not good.  I will put some links to other videos of the nest at the end.












Links to stories and videos:
News Story CTV News
Times Colonist Story
Vancouver Sun Story
Video of Nest
Another Video of Nest

I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.

Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni
MacroMonday 2 Thank you to Gemma Magical Mystical Teacher
The tiny hawk is my Macro!
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the Team
Weird, Wonderful and Wild for the letter "w" this week.




HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

41 comments:

  1. Hello, fantastic post and photos on the eagles and the nest. The eaglets and hawk baby are cool. It is great to see the Eagles doing so well. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, the eagles have three babies of their own and decided to adopt the hawk so they have four babies to feed. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  2. That is so NEAT, Nora.... However the little Hawk got there, I'm happy that the Eagles are nursing it until it is on its own... Such a wonderful story of love... Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, so wonderful to see you on my blog! It is a love story of the mother eagle and the little hawk. She tenderly feeds it first before the others and protects it and now she can fly around with it. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  3. That is a most unusual situation. It will be interesting to see of the hawk baby survives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, Yes he is surviving and flying now and doing really great. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  4. Today I heard from a resident that there were actually two Red-tailed hawk babies in the nest at first, I am not sure about it as I have not seen a picture of two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, So sorry that I have become the fan of this little hawk and am boring my readers so badly for a month now and just writing about the hawk. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  6. This is quite unusual! I hope the hawk continues to do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, yes we all are hoping for a good outcome. So far it is great, and the hawk is very happy and very bossy and strong minded. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  7. That's so interesting! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I am sure I am boring my readers with this story but I am so confused and amazed by it, I have become obsessed. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting story. I do wonder how the hawk got in the nest as well, truly amazing if it was brought in as food and then survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now. Jean I have so many comments to catch up on. I will try to get to your blog some time when things slow down here. I am not sure now how the hawk got into the nest. Perhaps the hawk mother laid her eggs in the eagle nest and went to have a holiday.

      Delete
  9. Weird, Wonderful, Wacky and Wondrously Wowing us!! Incredible. I hope it survives...as the three eaglets.

    Amazing Nora. I'm sure glad you linked up and shared this with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, thanks for your faithful comments here. Your blog today is very exciting and you have a lot of nature all around you. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  10. This is really a remarkable story. I hope the baby hawk survives his time in the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi! I really enjoy your artistic posts on Instagram and FB. Thanks for telling me about Instagram. I have been too busy to go there since all this hawk business started but will go back soon. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  11. This is very interesting. I didn't know that raptors did this sort of things. Thanks for the great story and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, it is kind of strange for the eagle parents to do this. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  12. That is so cool!!! and so interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alycia, thanks for coming here. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  13. Nature sure is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona, yes nature is what amazes me every day! I am amazed by its beauty and now by this act of kindness by an eagle who adores a little hawk baby. thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful post, photos and videos of a loving story of the red hawk baby being taken care of by eagles ~ fascinating ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, it is a love story and a story of survival. So far so good and all is well with the eagle and hawk family. thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  15. gorgeous. you're so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zongrik, thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
    2. And yes we are so lucky, I agree.

      Delete
  16. lots of wings!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger! I will check out your new page. thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  17. Oh wow what a wonderful treat! Thank you so much.

    Have a ♥-warming welcome ABC-day / week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    Preview Round 21, starting july 12th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now. Looking forward to the new ABC!

      Delete
  18. Oh dear... I don't watch nest cams anymore...too stressful... I hope the hawk baby survives, but it seems like a long shot.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, it is not on a nest cam! It is just a nest that we look at and take pictures of. The hawk is doing really well and is very happy and well fed. He can fly really good and the mother eagle just adores him.

      Delete
  19. I've never heard of an eagle raising a baby hawk! How interesting. Fabulous photos. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate your comments and read them all. The comments are what I look forward to more than anything now.

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much Nora. I was getting updates from Youtube about the sweet red tailed baby hawk. Someone in my eagle group just shared your blog. I really appreciate all of this info about this eagle family with the Hawklet. I am fascinated with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks unknown person for coming! Wish you would put a name on there and then come back again! I like to get to know my readers. As you can see most of my readers and comment people I know from blogging here for too long. Well I hope you come back again. I am fascinated and obsessed with the little hawk. We probably will never know what happens to him/her as he goes out in the world of nature. cheers and thanks for taking the time to comment here.

      Delete
  21. Thanks to all those who comment regularly here even when I am unable to comment back to you for a long time due to illness. I appreciate my regular and faithful blogging companions so much and each comment is read and enjoyed very much. I feel so much love from my blogging community here that we have built over these many years.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS